Chronic Pelvic Pain

Chronic Pelvic Pain is a term that can describe:

  • testicular, scrotal, penile, anal, or inguinal region pain

  • lower abdominal, or pelvic girdle pain

  • pain with erection, ejaculation or orgasm

Sometimes Chronic Pelvic Pain will result in pain with sitting and you may experience a deep ache around the pelvis. Sometimes pain will occur with certain movements, activities or postures, and sometimes it will occur seemingly without cause.  

Many men who experience Chronic Pelvic Pain can feel depressed, frustrated, and alone. It can be difficult to find concrete answers about what is causing your pain. Pelvic health physiotherapists have knowledge about the nerve, muscle and myofascial structures around the pelvis, hips, low back and pelvic floor region related to your pain. Physiotherapists also have an understanding of chronic pain and the strategies that have been shown to be effective in changing persistent pain and improving overall function. 

Possible Causes of Chronic Pelvic Pain: 

  • overactive or tense pelvic floor muscles

  • prostatitis or bacterial infection, UTI, testicular vericocele, malignancy

  • nerve injury or irritation

  • anxiety and stress

  • abdominal muscle overactivity 

  • spinal injury

  • trauma or direct mechanical injury to the pelvic girdle, tailbone, or lumbar spine 

What can physiotherapy do? 

  • A thorough physical assessment including examination of the pelvic floor, abdominal and spinal muscles, and sensitivity of the nerves that supply the pelvic girdle and genital regions can help in understanding what structures may be contributing to your pain. 

  • Manual techniques can be used to relax muscles and desensitize nerves to help change chronic pain. 

  • Learning strategies to release tension and reduce stress and anxiety can be helpful and reducing persistent pain.

  • Developing an exercise program to relax and/or strengthen muscles around your lumbar, pelvis or hip regions that may include our pelvic floor can be helpful in managing your pelvic pain.

  • Working with your family doctor, urologist, pain specialist or other referring professional, we can determine the best options for treatment.